The Biko Brace features a simple-to-use, adjustable, custom-fitted device that works with standard harnesses for optimum comfort. Biko encourages appropriate limb use, decreases scuffing of the toes and assists with weight shifting during ambulation.
Purchasing the Biko Physio Brace
Please call or email us and we will help with all your questions.
How is the Biko Brace used?
The brace is not a supportive device, but an assistive aid. It is utilised during the time that the dog is ambulatory and it helps them move more efficiently as a unit. The brace requires a standard roman harness with a D ring.
Is your patient a candidate for the Biko Brace?
- Patients must have motor function in all four limbs
- Patients who are ambulatory in the presence of mild or moderate ataxia
- Patients with degenerative myelopathy who are ambulatory
- Patients with degenerative disc disease who are ambulatory
- Post-operative patients who have recovered motor function and display residual impairments affecting their proprioception and balance
Patients who are NOT candidates:
- Patients who are paralysed
- Patients with no motor function in one or more limbs
- Patients with severe weakness and ataxia that require that they be physically moved and lifted to stand or walk
- Patients with severe spasm or increased tone in one or both hind limbs that severely interfere with their movement
Exceptions: In some instances, the BIKO may be appropriate for certain orthopedic cases. This should be determined by a veterinarian.
There are 2 measurements - the Band size and Cuff size. Please see the images below for information about where to measure your dog.
This brace is fitted to a standard dog harness with a D ring.